- 5-6 large cooked prawnsor 100g cooked chicken breast
- 100g white cabbagefinely shredded
- 1 medium carrotgrated
- 6 slices of cucumber
- ¼ red onion
- Handful of coriander and mint
- Handful of Bean shootsoptional
- Handful of chopped toasted almonds or cashews
- Deep fried shallotsfrom a good oriental food store
Dressing (ideal for 2 servings)
- 1tsp xylitol or honey
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish Sauceor 4 crushed Anchovies and 2tbsp liquid amino
- 1 hot chillideseeded and chopped finely
- 1 clove garlicminced
This is one of my all time favorites! A great ‘go to’ salad to impress your mummy friends when they come over with their kids for a play date! This is equally delicious with grilled chicken and even fillet steak!
Start with the dressing: put the xylitol or honey in a bowl and add the boiling water to dissolve – then add the rest of the ingredients, lime juice, fish sauce, chilli and garlic, and set aside
Then toast the nuts in a dry pan, turning regularly. Watch you don’t burn these!
Thinly slice the cabbage, red onion and cumbers into a bowl, grate the carrot and add the herbs and bean shoots.
Toss the salad with the dressing, top with prawns, deep fried shallots and toasted nuts